Code of Conduct
James C. Jernigan Library
Code of Conduct
The James C. Jernigan Library supports the education and research goals of the University through the acquisition, organization, management, and preservation of collections and information resources. The Library is committed to providing quality service and access that enhances the use of resources. The Library’s primary clientele are the students, faculty and staff of Texas A&M University-Kingsville.
In order to protect our library patrons' right of access to library facilities, to insure the safety of patrons and staff, and to protect library resources and facilities from damage, the Jernigan Library issues the following regulations:
- Adhere to policies governing appropriate use of university identification.
- Present identification upon request.
- Comply with library circulation policies.
- Respond to emergency and security gate alarms and other situations as instructed by staff; leave building at closing and limit use of the library to authorized areas only.
- Use cell phones in designated areas only.
Behaviors that infringe the rights of library users or staff are prohibited. Prohibited activities and behaviors include, but are not limited to the following.
Individuals will not:
- Exhibit any threatening or intimidating behaviors, e.g., abusive language, threats of violence or harassment.
- Engage in behavior that is potentially unsafe or harmful to self or others, e.g., bringing weapons into library, skateboarding, rollerblading, or throwing objects.
- Create disturbances with disruptive noise, e.g., loud talking or audible electronic devices.
- Engage in any sexual activities including, but not limited to, unwanted or inappropriate touching, unwanted or inappropriate advances, harassment or indecent exposure.
- Vend, peddle, solicit or petition in the library; post or distribute materials without permission.
- Use alcohol, tobacco, electronic or vapor cigarettes, or controlled substances.
- Disturb others with strong odors, e.g., perfumes, alcohol or unsanitary personal conditions.
- Obstruct use of library materials including, but not limited to, underlining, highlighting, writing, using sticky notes or paper clips, removing pages or security devices.
- Misuse, misappropriate or damage library furniture, building or equipment, including computer systems.
- Have food or unapproved drink containers in the library, except in designated areas.
- Bring animals, other than identified service animals, into the library.
- Allow others to use their nontransferable TAMUK identification or network authentication.
- Leave personal belongings unattended.
Sanctions for non-compliance:
Library users found in violation of this code of conduct may be asked to present identification to library staff; may be subject to a search of backpacks or bags; may be directed to leave the premises and not return to the library for the day; and may be reported to Texas A&M University-Kingsville. Disciplinary or legal action may also be taken in accordance with applicable laws and policies.
Federal and Texas State laws, local regulations and TAMUK policies, including the Student Handbook, the Student Code of Conduct, Violence in the Workplace and the Sexual Harassment policies apply within the Jernigan Library.